PDA

View Full Version : DoD:Source

formologic23
09-09-2005, 08:13 PM
In association with the recent update to Steam, we have an official release date for Day of Defeat:Source, which will be released for retail on September 26. I was just wondering if it was possible to set up a small server, to test for gameplay, and to see how many players use it, etc around the time that it is released, or sometime after that.

I know things have been crazy recently; I am just tossing out the idea because I know there will be some interest in the game once released.

Just wanted to get some thoughts.

eternal
09-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Great idea, I had a longer response but I kept getting an error.

Tank
09-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I can tell you there probably will be an overwhelming response for DOD:Source...

although i dont think i will personally be playing (anytime soon) I will eventually in the near furture

DOD was my other addiction other than CS

psilocybin
09-10-2005, 11:28 AM
whatever, ha ha

eternal
09-15-2005, 12:36 AM
preload is available for the release on the 26th.

Emanon
09-16-2005, 03:58 PM
It will be to our benefit if something similar to what the CSS guys have in terms of rules to be setup before hand. It would be nice to have something unique right off the bat, instead of playing catchup 3 months later.

Sarc
09-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah, a server definitely has to be ready for the first day. It would be hard to compete later with potentially thousands of servers.

trippel
09-17-2005, 06:21 PM
That would be sweet... Im up for it

LuGer
09-19-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm getting it. Would love to test it out with some familiar faces on the 26th.

Edit: Testing sig...

eternal
09-23-2005, 01:34 PM
So the server files are going to be released tomorrow. Time to get this going and ready for the release Monday.

So far:

I have talked to the creator of our cs:s admin tools and he plans on fully supporting DoD:S, this is good news because we have quite a few people on staff familiar with setting up and configuring this already. Also I have written an admin script pack for the cs:s guys that I can easily edit for DoD once it is released.

We seem to have a few guys interested and we are going to need admins as well as people to populate the server.

We should do as Emanon said and try to get something whiped up as far as s.o.p.'s for the server. With beetlesmod we can place rules ingame so that there are no excuses. I haven't played dod in a looong time so I am not the guy who should write this up.

Any other thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Bat21
09-23-2005, 03:12 PM
One rule we don't have to worry about is the spawn rushing. If they kept true to the original, then there will be a machine gun waiting for them.

eternal
09-23-2005, 03:39 PM
One rule we don't have to worry about is the spawn rushing. If they kept true to the original, then there will be a machine gun waiting for them.

Man that reminds me of good ol TFC, sigh...I really miss that game.

Emanon
09-23-2005, 03:49 PM
3 Days till release, what's the status of things: the server, general rules and so on.

If need be I can set this up, just PM me with the needed information.

paranoid
09-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I have never played DOD, but I do have DOD:S preloaded and ready to run

formologic23
09-23-2005, 05:17 PM
I spoke about the server, and there was some reluctance to get one started due to the lack of interest. I can assure that there is an interest with many from the CS:S community, I don't know what else to do but to try to get people to say something in the forums.

There has been an influx of new registers from the CS:S guys that play on the server. I am not sure what their participation level is, some people like forums, others leave them alone. I don't know how to force people to have an interest in something while in game. I could spam something like we have been about our tournament, but that gets annoying. People want to PLAY the game, not have a chat room about it while in game. Not much more I can say about that.

The last thing I have to say is that we have an Obsidian Edge server running (at least it was last time I checked last week). I don't know if possible, but maybe we can take that down and replace it with a DoD Server. I am not a tech guy, and have no idea what it takes to get that going.

I have put my 2 cents in about this game, and am willing to do what I can to get this ball rolling, although I have a shit load of stuff on my plate with school/work/and the countless hours of homework that I have already.

With that said, lets get a server up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

formologic23
09-23-2005, 06:03 PM
I don't mean to sound like I'm ranting, BUT................. DoD still has a pretty good following, many who play that will NOT play CS, but play DoD.

le3z0r
09-23-2005, 06:21 PM
I for one am real excited about DOD:S coming out, and I think it would be awesome if we could have a server up...I think it would definately be worth it and the following seems to be pretty good amongst the CS crowd.

eternal
09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
A server is in the works, I am gonna be around teamspeak as much as I can Sat. if anyone wants to get in there and throw some input into the mix please do so.
Right now they aren't saying much of anything about the release of DoD:S other than the server files will be released a day or two before the launch.

PARADOX
09-25-2005, 01:36 PM
No server files yet?

eternal
09-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Not that I have seen, I am wondering if there isn't a delay or something. Going to go look around again now and I will post back if I find anything.

PARADOX
09-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Still no server files.

formologic23
09-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Still no server files.

Leave it to Steam to screw it all up for now. Keep up the good work guys that are trying to get this going. I have a feeling that they will be released tomorrow, regardless, everyone who is going to have a server is in the same boat. If they release the files tomorrow, I am sure that we can get things done. I am done with my homwork, so I should be available all day tomoorrow if I can help.

eternal
09-25-2005, 11:46 PM
We just had a death in the family, I am not sure how much I can be around for the next few days. I will continue to do what I can when I can to get this rolling.

psilocybin
09-26-2005, 01:17 AM
We just had a death in the family, I am not sure how much I can be around for the next few days. I will continue to do what I can when I can to get this rolling.

that truly is no fun bro! just went through that when my grandmother past away! peace be with you!

psilocybin
09-26-2005, 01:18 AM
........err just tried DOD:SOURCE earlier tonight, dont ask how, he he, was pretty good if you liked the original, just prettied up, enjoy! needs a hog of a system though!

le3z0r
09-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Just purchased DOD:S! Now to wait for it to be released...can't wait!

HSantal
09-26-2005, 03:41 PM
This was just posted on the hlds list:

We have made Day of Defeat: Source available to preload. You can preload
it into a fresh location or with an existing Counter-Strike: Source or
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch installation.

To preload the server run:

Win32:
Hldsupdatetool -command update -game dods -beta preload

Linux:
./steam -command update -game dods -beta preload

Note that the preload does NOT give you a functional Day of Defeat:
Source server, the last little bit of the server (a couple MB worth)
will be released when the client is later today.

If you forget to put "-beta preload" on the command line then you will
not get the preload, so don't forget it.

- Alfred

A second post on the list says this:

The preload is only available to hldsupdatetool users, if you use the
Steam UI to run a server you must wait until the game is fully released.