PDA

View Full Version : Success

formologic23
09-26-2005, 10:15 PM
I just wanted to say THANK YOU to the guy(s) who got this going. The server so far has been full ALL night long, and a crap load of people were saying

HOW SMOOTH THE SERVER RAN.

Most everyone was having fun, and it seemed as though people were staying throughout the map changes.

So thanks again..........

Cmdr.Kill
09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Sorry I couldn't be there Aaron. Still no power in paradise. Soon very very soon.

Marlboro Man
09-26-2005, 10:22 PM
in dods and css i am getting very bad fps and have to swtich to dx level 80 any one have that problem ??? any help would be great !!!

LuGer
09-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Yea, it was fun. Sadly I get a CTD on Anzio that makes me force reboot. Don't know what that's about...

Regardless, the game is great. EXTREMELY challenging if you don't know the maps well and aren't used to a lot of recoil. I was getting so frustarated at times..

Ah well, just takes some getting used to. Then it should be good.

paranoid
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
in dods and css i am getting very bad fps and have to swtich to dx level 80 any one have that problem ??? any help would be great !!!

I had to do the same with CS:S, I found DOD:S almost unplayable, I played for 10 minutes and gave up

eternal
09-26-2005, 11:04 PM
EXTREMELY challenging if you don't know the maps well and aren't used to a lot of recoil.

No kidding, walk up to a wall and don't move your mouse. Shoot an entire clip, it is amazing, the stream will walk right up the whole damn thing. INSANE RECOIL!
I look forward to trying this out soon, got just about everything downloaded and updated.

axiom
09-27-2005, 12:08 AM
it was awesome, except for all the TKing that some ass hole and his friend were doing. literally, the round would start and they would just start spraying all over the spawn. Frijole was there among others, but it sucked until someone finally turned off TK's. THANK YOU AGAIN whoever did that. I cannot wait till the admin controls come out and we can get some structure in there, then it will be truly amazing. I was also happy to see that my CS sniping skills translated quite nicely to DOD :)

anyway back to the server!

Bat21
09-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Glad to hear you guys have had fun. I have had nothing but issues today. First my DOD is busted. I keep getting an "Steam Account Invalid" But could play CSS with no problems. Another issue is it was put on the same box as the CSS servers and the CSS servers were effected. Glad to hear your playing experience was enjoyable but the cs side was shit.

LuGer
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
No kidding, walk up to a wall and don't move your mouse. Shoot an entire clip, it is amazing, the stream will walk right up the whole damn thing. INSANE RECOIL!
I look forward to trying this out soon, got just about everything downloaded and updated.

Haha. Attempt to file an MG standing. You actually hit yourself in the face with the recoil.

axiom
09-27-2005, 10:18 AM
DOD Hasn't "been available" since 12 am this morning...is that just me (i hope not?)

formologic23
09-27-2005, 11:07 AM
My game was available this morning, was able to load. Didn't check any servers though...

Emanon
09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I was surprise how well it ran. Ran better than CSS to me.

I think the recoil is to slow the pace of the game, putting critical importants on holding areas and setting up defences. Otherwise it would be another CS.

proxops-pete
09-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Ah... I should've figured that you guys had a server for DoD! I will give it a chance later tonight hopefully...

Samurai
09-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I played on tGP's server last night and it ran great.

Only problem was that the map never changed. Even when the time ran out and it said it was changing maps, it didn't.

We also need some class restrictions put in place and an AFK kicker. There were far too many people playing last night who would run to their favorite camping spot at the start of the round, and then when they died they'd run right back to the same exact spot and resume camping.

I know camping is an integral part of DOD because defense is important, but there were way too many occasions where my team had 3 flags, and we had just killed probably half the other team all at once, giving us a huge advantage where we could rush forward and grab the 4th flag and set up a defensive position to keep them pinned down while we took the last flag, but every single time I was the ONLY person on my team that would go for the flags in those situations. Everyone else just camped and waited to rack up more kills.

Do we have any admins for this yet? If so we need some to enforce teamwork and slap career campers.

formologic23
09-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Yes, I have access to rcon. The problem is that we don't have Beetles or Mani installed on this yet, and we are waiting for eternal to return to get this going. For now, people seem to like playing on the server, and we just have to do what we can. I haven't had any complaints from anyone playing while I have played on the server. If you need rcon, get in touch with paradox. He is the one who set up the server and is the one to talk to at the moment I believe.

I also wouldn't worry about the "career campers" at this moment in time because no one has been around to set up rules and guidelines. I would say for now just leave things the way they are, the server is usually full, and I would hate to rain on people's parade my enforcing rules so soon while people are still getting used to the game. As soon as we can get some admins and a mod installed, then I would try to do something that sets us apart from the rest, but for now, lets just let things go....

eternal
09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
The problem is that we don't have Beetles or Mani installed on this yet, and we are waiting for eternal to return to get this going.

eternal has been here and has even posted that beetles is supporting DoD:S so it isn't me. Shit, I don't have rcon, you can do more than me. ;)

formologic23
09-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Sorry man. I was told that you were the one heading this up, but if I need to get this ball rolling, I will.

Samurai
09-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Yes, I have access to rcon. The problem is that we don't have Beetles or Mani installed on this yet, and we are waiting for eternal to return to get this going. For now, people seem to like playing on the server, and we just have to do what we can. I haven't had any complaints from anyone playing while I have played on the server. If you need rcon, get in touch with paradox. He is the one who set up the server and is the one to talk to at the moment I believe.

I also wouldn't worry about the "career campers" at this moment in time because no one has been around to set up rules and guidelines. I would say for now just leave things the way they are, the server is usually full, and I would hate to rain on people's parade my enforcing rules so soon while people are still getting used to the game. As soon as we can get some admins and a mod installed, then I would try to do something that sets us apart from the rest, but for now, lets just let things go....

Good points. I guess the only thing we could really do is put in some class limits. No more than 1 or 2 MGers and no more than 1 or 2 snipers. If we could just do that, people wouldn't camp nearly as much.

I just want to make it abundantly clear that I understand the need for camping in DOD is a lot greater than in most other multiplayer FPS games. I just don't like it when people treat DOD like a shooting gallery simulator.

Addict
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Good points. I guess the only thing we could really do is put in some class limits. No more than 1 or 2 MGers and no more than 1 or 2 snipers. If we could just do that, people wouldn't camp nearly as much.

I just want to make it abundantly clear that I understand the need for camping in DOD is a lot greater than in most other multiplayer FPS games. I just don't like it when people treat DOD like a shooting gallery simulator.

Does it actually work? In the old DoD, camping did one thing: put up an effective defense. In certain maps, putting up an effective defense was what you needed to do on one side, and attacking was what you needed to do ano the other. On other maps, it was more balanced, and playing JUST defense would rack up kills, but NOT win you the round. Most maps were a great game of advance, take a flag, consolidate, defend, build up forces, advance again, etc etc. Pushing back and forth. There was an intrinsic NEED for all classes.

Is DoD source just obviously broken? There should be no reason to restrict classes. Esp given it's been out for what, 2 days?! Surely this is just a knee jerk reaction, and once people figure out how to win the MAP, it'll go away?

If it is an effective strategy for both sides to turtle, and it just becomes a straight up shooting match, I'm DEFINATELY not going to buy this. The greatness of the old DoD was the dynamic nature. Machine guns could OWN, but only in one spot, and were flankable, and ran out of ammo. Snipers could kill great from a distance, but close on them, flank them, 'nade them. And it was ALL about the flags.

PS - I also miss the bleeding, bandaging, lethality of all weapons(even the pistol), 'nades to be feared(except for the 'nade bug on that one downhill map... heh, that was just cheap), crappy jumping(you try jumping with 60 lbs plus of equipment on your back!), short sprinting, proning, etc etc.

Samurai
09-28-2005, 04:43 PM
From what I have heard recently, class limits have been around in DOD for a long time. It's just a server side variable you set. Once 2 people have chosen MGer, nobody else can. I don't know what happens when a current MGer dies and someone else has chosen that class.

Anyway, AFAIK, the 4 maps that come with DOD:S are just revamps of DOD that already have existed for a long time. Nothing new.

Also, the classes are all balanced, and no, everyone camping with machine guns/sniper rifles is not the standard, because you can't win if you do that. MGers are flankable, and the bazookas were put into DOD:S for the express purpose of flushing out snipers and holed-up MGers.

The reason I suggest class limits is not because anything in broken or imbalanced. I suggest it because it encourages people to take flags instead of playing "shooting gallery", which is the ONLY problem with this game right now, IMHO.

Trust me, I've played a LOT of DOD:S in the past couple days and limiting teams to 2 MGers and 2 snipers would not take anything away from the game. That's more than enough defensive firepower to hold down the map when your team has a flag advantage.

Addict
09-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Huh. I guess I'm going to have to come barg in and play at your place Busse, to experience it.

'cause I still don't get it. Either they are in legitimate control of the map, and defensive is the appropriate thing to do. Or they are NOT in control of the map, and if they stay defensive, they should loose, you should laugh at them, and they should learn to get off their stomachs and be some other class.

grrr... So, worth 20 bucks?

Samurai
09-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Huh. I guess I'm going to have to come barg in and play at your place Busse, to experience it.

Come on over anytime.

'cause I still don't get it. Either they are in legitimate control of the map, and defensive is the appropriate thing to do.

Dat, dat, dat don' make no sense!

If your team is in control of the map (3 or 4 flags captured), the people who are camping with machine guns and/or sniper rifles need to move forward in order to hold down the choke points out of the enemy spawn. In other words, pick up MG, move forward, redeploy MG, and cover the nearest flag or exit from the enemy spawn.

If they are camping 2 flags back (where they've been camping since the very beginning of the game) just waiting for enemies to slip through the forward defenses just so they can get more kills, and don't actually care about winning the map, that's just dumb. It's that kind of play that needs to be discouraged, and according to DOD veterans, class limits are the best way to do that.

Or they are NOT in control of the map, and if they stay defensive, they should loose, you should laugh at them, and they should learn to get off their stomachs and be some other class.

If your team is not in control of them map, the best strategy is defense. Kill a bunch of the advancing enemy (hopefully at once) to give your team some time to move up, maybe capture a flag, and set up defenses again.

However, there are people who will run to the exact same place every time they die regardless of how their team is doing. They just wanna set up an MG and camp for kills. They could care less about capturing flags. Again, if there can only be 2 MGers on a team, then some of the people who would normally camp with MGs will either leave the server or (hopefully) choose rifleman or assault class and go do something useful.

grrr... So, worth 20 bucks?

Absolutely. A++++++++ would buy again. Also, I didn't have to pay $20 for it. Since I got the HL2 Silver package thru Steam, I got DOD:S for free. It truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

Addict
09-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah, well, tell that to the stupid people who were gracious enough to buy me the game for christmas. Oh wait, there is no way they could have known.

Instead I'm pissed at the fued Vivendi(they were the distributors, right?) and Valve allowed to go on(argueing about release dates, what rights people would have, etc etc). It fucked up the distribution, hurt their audience, and generally was unprofesional.

Grrr....... I'm filled with anger.

formologic23
11-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Yesterday was the best day ever for the DoD server. It was populated to the max most of the day, starting from 12pm PST to about 9pm PST. The rounds were amazing, and check this screenie out - STALEMATE. 45 minutes of intense gaming and not one side won.
http://www.thegamerplanet.com/formologic23/dod_flash0007.tga
CLICK HERE FOR SCREENSHOT (http://www.thegamerplanet.com/formologic23/dod_flash0007.tga)

I just want to thank a couple of people:

Le3z0r
Uncle Tantric
Legshredder Priest
[GFK]Interman

These people stayed all day to help achieve this. I believe that we will have more and more regulars if we keep the pace up that we have this week with the server.

Samurai
11-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I'll probably be playing for the next hour or 2 until it gets dark, then I'm gonna go play Fatal Frame because it's friggin scary as hell.