Go Back   The Gamer Planet Forums > Game / Server Forums > BattleField 1942 Desert Combat

Choppers
Old 01-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Shad0wRIP

Choppers

I'm having a hell of a time trying to fly choppers so much so that i avoid them all together now....I noticed Gadget seems to have handle on this maybe he or anyone else might lend a help full hint or 2 on how to fly these things effectively:)

Thanks Shad0wRIP

Old 01-28-2004, 07:54 AM
FTex

LOL i'm right with you on that one. Having just got the game (GG's last night guys and thanks) I found that my usually good chopper skills came to naught. Instead of flying I performed a new manouver (even to me) what I'll term as maniacally swaying. I get in the damn chopper and go up no problem. Then I touch the joystick and I got up and down, left and right, in fact anything but striaght.

I guess someone must've had a laugh at me last night when I was trying to get over to wake island. They must have been laughning really hard because lot's of enemy planes, helo's came nr me but obviously couldn't aim straight because of the fits they were in. :P

J.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Mask

I find for me, using the mouse/keyboard is the easiest. The thing I see most people doing wrong, is over-controlling. Try flying the really big choppers first. They are less responsive, and slower.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:33 PM
CorperateB

I am no Chopper expert - gauranteed.

I am just learning but maybe we can share tips and tricks.

The commment about big choppers is right on - I find hueys the easiest - althought the pilot has no attack.

The rules I use are:

Start with small joystick movements. Cobra's overcontrolling comment.

Understand that it is up to you to stop the motion you start.

IE start to tilt forward you better put some back control to stop it, and before it gets to the point where you want it.

The throttle is so touchy - I move mine maybe 5% to go from screaming up to falling down. I find that keep a hand on the throttle is helpful

Dont even try to fire a weapon at any one until you can control the ship flying point a to b.

I practiced on the Brocade map (I think 2 maybe 1) for several single player missions to get a feel for flying these beasts.

Bob

PS having getting to the point where I can keep one of these things in the air is the most rewarding thing in hte game so far.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Bearie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt_bob
PS having getting to the point where I can keep one of these things in the air is the most rewarding thing in hte game so far.
See, I am different. Being able to pluck one of those things from the sky with a stinger is the most rewarding thing in the game :P

Old 01-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Dude

you have to remeber whebn flyinmg a chopper that you should only make minor adjustments on your stick when you fly. and you have to counter your actions if you wish to return to normal. ie if you push forward on the stick and you want to slow down to a hover you do not just return the stick to center but you pull back on it slightly. play around with the hind. thats the chopper i found easiest to learn in.

i can fly choppers now but landing 50 50 chance whether i will pull it off.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:01 PM
KH

Also see this from another thread:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=66375#663 75

Old 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Acurate

I found that just spending 30 minutes, by myself on an empty map (say El Alamein) with no pressure (just create a local multiplayer game), really improved my chopper ability 500%.

Re: Choppers
Old 01-29-2004, 11:32 PM
DoHicky

Re: Choppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wRIP
...I noticed Gadget seems to have handle on this maybe he or anyone else might lend a help full hint or 2 on how to fly these things effectively:)...

What you noticed is the result of what seems like endless hours on the server by myself or even loading games in single player missions so that I can get flying time it. I still can't attack worth a hoot, but I'm working on it. One of the most beneficial things that helped me out was Ryker. He and I were on like two or three maps with one another and just flew around. He would try to land on a building and then I would. It was like follow the leader. Really was helpfull especially when he was coaching me through it.

As for tips, small corrections is key. No sooner have I started in the direction that I want than I start counteracting it. It may seem like a waste, but it's really not. I've noticed that I tend to get blown out of the air because I can't seem to get this lead thing down. Oh well! I'll just keep at it -- and that's what I recommend for y'all too. Just keep at it.

Look at me talkin' like I'm some kind of pro or something -- NOT! You want a pro, talk to Thrash. He can fly! Talk to Cobra, snipermike, and a dozen others that can actually hit their targets and keep the craft aloft. Hell, they spend just about as much time in the air as I do waiting to spawn, provided that you added my time consecutively!

Old 01-30-2004, 12:37 AM
THRASH

Ty Gadget, but I am no pro, I have been up against some unreal pilots
I find It hard to explain, when I first hopped in an apache I went up about 10 feet , spun out and crashed, over and over till I could take off with out crashing, I also had a very basic understanding of how a helicopter worked
But here is a site I think explains it a lot better then me
http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bf1942/strategy/chopper/index.shtml

"The physics of flying a helicopter is quite different from flying a plane; notice there are no wings to speak of"

Thrash
P.S.
BTW asch has been cutting my air time down a lot :?