Go Back   The Gamer Planet Forums > Game / Server Forums > Other Multi-Player Games > Natural Selection

Uneven Teams
Old 02-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Zek

Uneven Teams

Just had a very unpleasant game of ns_nothing today. The teams started more or less equal skill and number wise, I was on Aliens. Wyz was on marines, so CD was optional. Throughout the game, primarily No-CD players continued to connect to the server and join aliens, unbalancing the teams by 1 and sometimes 2. A couple of them cooperated and switched to Marines(one of whom went back aliens 5 minutes later), but the rest refused to budge and were either totally silent or acted stubborn over voice chat. Over the course of the game 2-3 good players switched to marines because the new joiners refused to do so. Aliens were left with a couple regs and 3-4 pubbers, marines were completely stacked against us and the Aliens got slaughtered.

This really doesn't make any sense to me. If the teams are uneven(aliens have more than marines), the person who last joined should be told to switch, and if they refuse they should be kicked. They can always join again and go marines if they want. It's really ridiculous imho that uncooperative players should be allowed to stack the teams as they please and that the regs should be switching instead.

Would it be possible to get a plugin that prevents aliens from having more players, if only after the game starts?

Old 02-08-2004, 05:29 PM
CatDog

I suggested a plugin much like this, but it was denied. I was told that no one felt we needed it. What the plugin did was make sure that the marines got the extra man, but as a side-effect, it would make sure the teams were even.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Gandolf

it sucks, pubbies travel in packs, and when they do that, they all NEED (OMFG WTH WE GO TOGETHER AND PWN! OMFG WE WIN FOR SURE)-sorry, had to get that outta my system- to go on the same team. It's a load of crap imo. I think wyz finished his plugin for assigning people in the readyroom to teams... but I think It'd be helpful to prevent the aliens from getting the extra player.

We all still agree that the Marines should have the extra player, right? (cept maybe combat maps, those we gatta get a 'community rule' for)

Old 02-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Wytty1

In combat the only thing that is unbalanced BY DESIGN is the rate at which each team's essential structure heals itself. The hive heals very slowly, by design. The comm chair heals none, by design. So, if any team needs the extra player in CO, it's marines. However, experience tells me that this isn't usually necessary as marines can usually manage, especially since most alien teams have a gorge dedicated to the hive room.

In NS, however, marines need the extra man. I'll explain why if several people ask me to, but I don't think that's necessary.

Admins now have a plugin that gives them total control over who is on what teams. We can assign people randomly, we can assign people individually, we can throw the whole server to the readyroom.

I like Zek's idea about switching based on time, and I'll begin to enforce it.

Also, if enough people want marines to have the extra man, please speak up. I'm not putting that plugin on the server unless people ask for it.

Wyzcrak

Old 02-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Wytty1

I've also set

mp_limitteams 1

That will help, as it only allows a variance of one between team sizes when a player is trying to join a team.

Wyzcrak

Old 02-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Gandolf

yay! that means teams can only be different by 1 person right? thats a good thing... Also, a request for the admins, If at any time theres half the server sitting in one spawn portal area, activate the randomizer thing...