Go Back   The Gamer Planet Forums > General Forums > Hardware, Software and Networking

Also New Monitor!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Nexxux

Also New Monitor!

I am also getting a new monitor. I am wanting a 21" CRT Flat Screen monitor. I have been looking for the best one for gaming. The one I like the most so far is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...229&depa=0

If you all know any other monitors that are really good for gaming let me know. Also, I don't know what specs to look at for monitors for gaming and what is good and bad. I need help. Thanks.

Re: Also New Monitor!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:36 PM
eternal

6 months ago I bought a 19" crt. It's a viewsonic p95f+ (mine is black, but they have other colors).

I did alot of research for a "gaming" monitor and this one does not disappoint. It was top, or tied, in every round up review I could find. The reason it's so good is the color quality. I have never seen a more vibrant, more colorful monitor. I take it to lan's frequently and have yet to see one with a better quality picture. I have had numerous people stop and mention it at these events.
There is also a button on the front for "on the fly" gamma adjustments. One for gaming, one for text, one for dvd and it is freaking awesome.

Downsides, it's big and heavy. I also had an issue with it about 5 months in. Granted we were hit with a heavy lightning storm. I turned off my pc and the storm seemed to have passed. The next day I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't do anything. By the warranty that would probably be my fault but I wasn't going to tell them.
They paid for my rma, they get 2 weeks to fix yours or they will send you a replacement. They sent me a replacement (mine must have really been fried). So anyways all this isn't a downside but I am getting to that. The replacement had a small scratch on it and something was rattling inside. I called them right back and had them send another one all at their expense. While the inconvenience of the second monitor was aggravating I was absolutely amazed at the level of customer support. They were in constant e-mai contact, answered all my questiosn and made sure I was happy with my monitor.

Maybe they have a 21" version you could look into. Regardless this monitor is incredible for gaming.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Nexxux

Thanks for the info. I will look your monitor up and see if the stats on the monitor I want and the stats on yours are similar. If so, they should be the same quality considering they are both made by ViewSonic.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Nexxux

Here is the stats for your exact monitor:
- Specifications -

CRT Type: PerfectFlat CRT
Dot Pitch: 0.25mm aperture grille at center
Max / Optimal resolution: 2048x1536 @ 68Hz / 1600x1200 @ 87Hz
Frequency / Bandwidth: fh: 30~110kHz; fv: 50~160Hz / 285MHz
Features: UltraBrite 4X technology
Dimensions & Weight: 18.8" x 17.9" x 18.5" (WxHxD), 51.7 lbs
Manufacturer's Warranty / Phone No.: 3 year limited warranty on CRT, parts and labor. / 800-688-6688

And here is the one I want:
- Specifications -

CRT Type: 21.0" (20.0" viewable) PerfectFlat CRT
Dot Pitch: 0.21mm horizontal, 0.25mm diagonal
Max / Optimal resolution: 2048x1536 @ 68Hz / 1600x1200 @ 87Hz
Frequency / Bandwidth: fh: 30~110kHz; fv: 50~180Hz / 250MHz
Features: SuperClearŪ technology, ARAGŪ screen treatment
Dimensions & Weight: 19.6" x 20.0" x 19.2" (WxHxD), 59.4 lbs
Manufacturer's Warranty / Phone No.: 3 year limited warranty on CRT, parts and labor / 800-688-6688

Old 11-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Nexxux

Or would this 19" LCD Screen be better:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...160&depa=0

I don't know how LCD's are for gaming though.