Go Back   The Gamer Planet Forums > Game / Server Forums > Other Multi-Player Games > Counter Strike

Who is interested in learning "Hammer" together?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:58 PM
eternal

Who is interested in learning "Hammer" together?

I was thinking it would be cool if we started spending an hour or two every so often in teamspeak learning hammer together.
We could start with the absolute basics, just poking around and as one person does something significant, they share with the others.

I know we have some modders here, most of us have hl2, it's a no brainer. After this week is over, I could even come up with some lesson plans. If we learned one thing per session it would still be worth it and learning together will make it easy. Right now, I have only modded for GR, I would be coming in a complete n00b, but I see this as a fast, effective way to get started. Think of it, our own tGP hl2 mod. Tactical, fast, fun, realistic, fun, naked women, fun.....well you get the idea.

Is there any interest?

Re: Who is interested in learning "Hammer" togethe
Old 12-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Otacon

Sure, I would help teach Hammer.
That wouldn't be much of a problem, it's very intuitive, and the best way to learn is to teach anyways ;)

EDIT: Note, I know this is in CS:S forums, but tell me beforehand what mods you wanna learn for so I can teach myself the different entities real quick ;)
That is, if this gets off the ground.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Emanon

He wants to do CSS maps that force players not to play so much DM.

I played with hammer a bit last night. Its some crazy crack, looks harder to learn than autocad or solidworks.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Otacon

mmm... I'll work on all the CS:S entities then.
Can I have a time frame for when(if?) this goes down?

Old 12-14-2004, 06:12 PM
eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon
He wants to do CSS maps that force players not to play so much DM.
That isn't entirely 100% accurate, but a very fair assumption. I do want to start with css, but it isn't just the deathmatch thing. Some of the GR modders around here and myself, were discussing switching to the hl2 engine because of it's possibilities.
I really enjoy modding, but GR has seen it's time and I am banking nothing on gr2 until I see it. HL2 will be around for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otacon
mmm... I'll work on all the CS:S entities then.
Can I have a time frame for when(if?) this goes down?
Whenever you are ready. I have one more class tomorrow, then my semester is over. That gives me a month of free time. We are lucky to have someone like yourself, willing to invest some time into a project like this.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Otacon

Heh, thanks :P
I'm not grand at it or anything, but I know enough to do the basics at least. After that, I guess we'll all be learning at the same time ;)

Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Frijole

Sounds like a good idea, i know nothing about hammer, but i just set it up to run in CSS. Once we can arranage a date/ time i'll be there.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Sarc

If you guys are still doing this in the New Year, I'll be up for it. Right now, I have exams then two weeks of vacation overseas so I won't be able to do anything during the holidays.

I was thinking of using HL2 to do something simple like a SWAT type mission and see where it goes from there. It'll be nice to have others around to learn off each other.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Otacon

So... I did some research on CS:S.
I can add everything, buy zones, all of it.
The only problem is, I don't know how to set the map objectives. But I CAN add hostages. You'd think it'd automatically set the objective, and maybe it does, but I don't know.
It would be the last thing to be set anyways, so you could learn the rest of it along the way before you actually made a real one anyways.
I'm still willing to teach, but we'd have to set a time to all hang out together, and I'd like to get in touch with Ema if this is actually going to happen about putting some demo maps on the server I could use to show you guys what's going on.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Emanon

I did some research last night and I am really interested in remaking that GR map. I downloaded a map called cs_swamp1 and it had alot of the effects I would love to add to a map.; thunder, rain, fog, water and mist

We could make the map duel objective? (bomb and hostege)

I myself am not experienced with map making but I am willing to learn.

We can try this during the holidays, Im sure there will be plenty of time to crack down on some of this stuff. Im kind of confused on how to proportion everything.