Go Back   The Gamer Planet Forums > Game / Server Forums > Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter

Re: GRAW Map Making for Dummies
Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Map Maker in Training

Fishmonger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullett View Post
If one could similate the terrain,A good mission would be to take hilltop Alpha in landing zone zebra of the movie "WE WERE SOLDIERS".What with the creekbed area,the small ridge,and then to take the mountain.Maybe a stretch but can it be done?
you have to remember that in OGR coop, there's only one single objective: reach Zulu. How you wrap that into a mission is up to you, however, to force a certain route and resolution of situations, you'll probably have to resort to blocking off the direct route with stuff on the map. I've done it on Snake On Point - lucky there are a few objects in the editor you can put on any map without causing major graphics issues. This is higher level stuff and right now I'd rather not get into that.

I'll continue with this thread in little while, and I will post my world.xml for everyone to download once I have fixed it up far enough to start putting in trigger zones and AI, which everyone should do for themselves. At that point I can also put a sidebar up how to block off routes in the map. The blow-up part to open up routes is something I have not yet done myself, so that'll have to wait

Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Map Maker in Training

not fnding the editor? that is because the editor IS the game executable, just starting up with different parameters. There's a special command line that is all the shortcut does for you. I'll grab it off my box downstairs and post it here - then just make a new shortcut and put the line in. I had a similar problem when I first started using the editor, as I was constantly swapping the startup XML files to launch either editor or game by editing the files, however, there are two files in the graw dir that let the program read presets for either editor or game mode. Some stuff is shared, like video settings, but the mode you go into is controlled by those files.

The game starts up using "context.xml"

The editor starts up using "context-editor.mxl"

the server starts up using "context-standalone.xml"

more on this in the next post - I gotta go to the system that has the program installed to get the startup info in detail.

The only other reason why there may be no editor is that you're not running version 1.35, but that's unlikely.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Map Maker in Training

this is the command line in my GRAW editor shortcut:

Target box:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\GRAW.exe" -o context-editor.xm

Start in box:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter"

just make a copy of your GRAW game shortcut and swap the command line and possibly adjust the path to where your game actually resides and that should do it. If it then still goes straight into the game, we need to edit your context-editor.xml file to look like this (the line I highlighted is the key - if yours is different you may still be loading the game and not the editor, even if you do all the above correctly)

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<context>
<!-- exchange this line with the one under the comment to start in editor mode
<script base="data" exec="menu/menu" editor="false" language="english"/>
-->
 <script base="data" exec="levels/editor/editor" editor="true" enforce_texture_sets="false" override_allow_autoload="true"/>

<layer_config file="\data\settings\layers.xml"/>
 <scene_config file="\data\settings\scenes.xml"/>
 <unit_database file="\data\units.xml"/>
 <sound settings="/data/sound/settings.xml" />
 <network settings="/data/settings/network.xml" />
 <static_texture_scope file="\data\settings\static_texture_scope.xml"/>

<skeleton_def file="\data\objects\def.xml"/>
 <animations def="\data\anims\anims.xml" state_machine="\data\anims\state_machines.xml"/>
 <texture base="\data\textures" />
 <effects file="\data\effects\effects.xml"/>
 <decals file="\data\effects\decals\decals.xml"/>
 <!--<keys disable_windows_key="false" />-->
 <default_shader_config file="\data\shader\default_shader_config.xml"/>
 <default_render_templates file="\data\shader\default_render_templates.xml"/>
 <physics settings="\data\settings\physics_settings.xml" fps="60" novodex="hardware" />
 <global_materials file="\data\settings\materials.xml" />
 <gui file="\data\gui" optimized="true"/>

<camera shakes="\data\settings\camera_effects.xml" cameras="\data\settings\camera_settings.xml" />
 <bundler make_logs="false" />
 <nls_lookup size="64"/> 
 <installer use="false"/>
 <calc_video_mem_adjust value="false"/>

<!-- Enable this for bundled versions. -->
 <compile xml="false" scripts="false" mopps="false" texture_db="false"/>
</context>

Old 01-26-2008, 05:33 PM

G4F-Snake is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to G4F-Snake

This stuff is way above my paygrade, I'd rather just shoot'em.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Map Maker in Training

so you all can't even run the editor? argh

I'll post one more installment, since I already took the screenies - after that I'll get back to making maps unless somebody is actually still listening

Old 01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Map Maker in Training

At the risk of talking to myself - let's gt back into this thing. Next step is to make sure the map we are hacking has what GRIN calls an "AI graph" - those are essentially a network of invisible hooks the AI tangos need to be able to walk around on the maps. They don't have a clue about where they can go unless there is a grid for them to hang on to. All multiplayer maps of the game except for the coop map, that graph is not present. So you just add it!

Here is what you need to see when you go to the AI Graph layer of a map. IF this stuff doesn't show up, just start right-clicking all over the place and make the mesh grow. That's what I did here - 45 mins and the AI can go into bunkers, on top of buildings, everywhere I put these little "anchors" on the map:

These things all have to link togther somewhere - not hard to do - the linking happens automatically if you click close to a node that can be reached.

There's a second AI Graph for vehicles. That one can be seen/edited/created by hitting the "N" key while in the AI Graph layer. Silly but that "N" key is a very valuable little key in the editor that does a bunch of stuff for placing objects as well. Here it toggles from human graph to vehicle graph.

The vehicle graph can only go where the biggest tank can fit - if the road is too narrow, it won't let you connect the dots. Do not have more than one vehicle graph on a map, as it will crash it when you try to load it later...

Here's my screen from the placing of my vehicle graph (right mouse button - green thing shows how far you can go from the last one)

When you're all done, you can check from overhead where you placed this stuff. Note that any vehicle you want to move on a map must spawn within the range of these green circles you see above to actually move somewhere on orders. Spawn away from the graph and the vehicle will not go anywhere.

This is where you order panhrds or tanks or trucks to go in my map now:

And, to save you the hassles of doing this yourself, I am uploading my files so you can start from here (almost ready to place the bad guys)

Starting at this point, decisions about the mission have to be made. The spawn zones and zulu location need to be defined.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Map Maker in Training

In case you want to place your spawn and zulu in different corners than I did, you will need to go to the "Multiplayer" layer of the map and change the location where "base 1" Alpha and "base 2" bravo is located. That's pretty easily done by right clicking in that layer and then dragging a box on the map, then naming it off a pull down meny base 1 or base 2. Play with it to get the hang of the controls. You can delete them off the list if things don't look right and do it again.

here are my spawn and zulu zones (left spawn, zulu right). The red thing is the box that defines the minimap top view crop and the game area, although I have seen maps where we wander outside the box (that is when you are apparently outside the minimap). Anyway - here's my layout:

The very last thing to do before starting to set spawn trigger zones (area layer) and placing AI (human layer or vehicle) is to put 12 to 16 "spawn dummies" from the props layer menu into the spawn location. Here they are, defining where the Ghosts spawn, inside of "base 1" seen in purple on the top image. Select the spawn dummy from the props list and right click where to place them:

Now we're ready to get the mission made. If all this was too much hassle so far, don't worry - just unzip my ?my_level folder into your work folder inside of custom_levels and you got all the above taken care of. We can always operate like this - I release maps for you to place AI on and then you send me back your world file and I'll make it work, just in case you don't want to do anything but be the tango general that schemes the defense against the ghosts. Over time you'll learn how all this works together anyway.

Here is the zip with the map pretty much ready for AI scripting. I placed my mission script in there that allows for 10 spawn areas and 3 MG spawns. Vehicles and random stuff would need to be added, but for starters, let's ignore that.

my_level.zip (note that this file needs editing due to the invisible walls discovered later over the course of this project)

Up next information on the part that is much more fun than everything I have talked about so far - the creation of the AI on the map.

Last edited by Fishmonger : 03-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Map Maker in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4F-Snake View Post
This stuff is way above my paygrade, I'd rather just shoot'em.
me too, but I got bored to be playing on the same map for 3 weeks in a row. The game is too good to have it get boring just because you don't get any new maps.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
IDWIC

HSantal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor3588 View Post
I have an issue starting the map editor.

I follow the tree...select the map editor and it sends me into the game.

Here is the start string I have:

"D:\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\GRAW.exe" -o context-editor.xml

Great education!

Thanks for all your efforts Fish!
I have my game on D:\
My OS is on C:\

My Map Editor is on the Start Menu under Programs\Games\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Map Editor

The properties of this link is :

Target: "D:\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\GRAW.exe" -o context-editor.xml

Start in: "D:\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter"

It works.

If a man, standing in the forest says something, and his wife isn't there to correct him, is he still wrong??

Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Thor3588 is on a distinguished road

Nailed the editor thing...the tree's, paths and switches were all correct. After looking at Fish's script, both context.xml and context-editor.xml were identical for some strange reason.

Thanks!!! Now on to map making!